Medical Alert Tags... Are They Worth It?

It seems lately that I get dozens of diabetes advertisements these days touting different wears for today's diabetic. Most of them are worthless but some may deem useful given the right situation. One of the more popular items are diabetic medical alert tags.

A basic idea really. The persons name, medications he or she is taking and contact information. You might ask do I really need one? You need to ask yourself a few questions. How is my diabetes progressing and do I put myself in situations where I might need an alert bracelet?

If you are a type 1 diabetic or have high glucose sensitivity the a alert tag may be something you already wear on a daily basis. If you are managing your diabetes very well and are in good physical shape then it is unlikely you will find yourself in a situation when you would need an alert tag.

There is several caveats to that. I would wear a diabetic identification tag if I was.

1.Traveling abroad
2.competing in a sport or marathon race
3.taking a long weekend/camping/backpacking longer then 3 days


The whole idea is to identify your condition to take the guess work out of a prognosis should you find yourself unconscious in a hospital.


There are even more ways to identify yourself as a diabetic such as medical alert tattoos. It should be noted that not every doctor or nurse may spot the tattoo unless it is clearly worded out.

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Walgreens Printable Coupons
Click to save on quality supplements!